Our Instagram!


Follow us on Instagram @WeGeeksWHF

Sunday 11 November 2018

November 2018 PS Plus Goodies!

I'm finding it hard to be enthusiastic about the PS Plus lineups lately.  I'm particularly annoyed by the quality of the PS3 and Vita games.  I know they're not going to be doing them for much longer, but while they're part of PS Plus surely they could add some better stuff?!

Anyway...

There is actually a good family friendly game in this month's lineup!  Hooray!  Sadly I know this because I bought the game in question a while back, so I'm not benefiting from my PS Plus subscription, but hey.

This month's games are:
Yakuza Kiwami (PEGI-18) (PS4)
Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition (PEGI-18) (PS4)
Jackbox Party Pack 2 (PEGI-12) (PS3)
Arkedo Series (PEGI-12) (PS3)
Burly Men at Sea (PEGI-3) (PS Vita and PS4)
Roundabout (PEGI-16) (PS Vita and PS4)

So, my family pick of the month is Burly Men at Sea (PEGI-3)!  Now I know that title sounds a bit strange, but trust me, it's a great game.  It's a kind of interactive story about three bearded sailors who have some truly strange adventures.  A playthrough of their adventure might take you about 30 minutes - when I played it with Seb I read all the text and we treated it like a storybook. The thing that makes it interesting, though, is that once you've done it once you can continue to repeat the story but making different choices, thus causing different outcomes.


The art style is clean and simple, the music's folky and matches the gruff bearded sailors perfectly.  And the stories are great fun.  Ever wondered what might happen if your ship sank and you were eaten by a whale?  Or what would happen if you encounter mermaids?  Or the grim reaper?  Or get turned into seals?  Try all the options and there are 12 different endings to discover.  It is very much like a 'choose your own adventure book'.

Rather beautifully they're also producing hardcover illustrated storybooks of the game.  You can enter a code that you get at the end of your favourite playthrough and they'll send you a 50 page book of it.  (The downside is, of course, that you have to pay $30!  It's a cool idea, though...  Also, you can get a digital version for $4, though I'm not sure why you'd want to when you could just play the game again.)

Totally recommended, then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Life in Games 1: Little Computer People (1987)

Seb was trying to get me to work out my Top 20 video games of all time, and I narrowed it down to 20... but it was too hard to put them into...