Our Instagram!


Follow us on Instagram @WeGeeksWHF

Saturday 12 January 2019

January 2019 PS Plus Goodies!

With not long left now until PS Plus stops supplying us with PS3/Vita games (which tend to be more kid friendly), this month's offerings are actually pretty family friendly!  I speak particularly of Portal Knights and Amplitude...

The complete line-up is:

Steep (PS4) (PEGI-12)
Portal Knights (PS4) (PEGI-7)
Zone of the Enders (PS3) (PEGI-12)
Amplitude (PS3) (PEGI-3)
Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion (PS Vita & PS4) (PEGI-12)
Super Mutant Alien Assault (PS Vita) (PEGI-16)

Not that interested in Steep (some snowboarding game or something), or most of the others, to be honest, but Portal Knights (PEGI-7), aargh, this is sucking my life away..!!!  It is a little reminiscent of Minecraft, in that you mine blocks and can build houses etc from them, or nerd pole, but it's much more of a traditional RPG.  A catastrophe split the world into 48 floating islands, which you travel between using portals.  You have to roam around, killing monsters and completing quests.  There are three classes to choose from (warrior, ranger or mage).  As you go through the game you put points into your basic traits (the usual strength, dexterity, etc), so you can make yourself a sort of paladin if you put some points into intelligence as well as strength (to give yourself more mana).  Every five levels you get to choose a special ability.  It's a game with a great sense of humour (the pirates are pretty hilarious), and a good introduction to the genre for younger players who are probably already familiar with Minecraft.  I've certainly been enjoying it.  You can also play online with your friends, if you want to, and there's a two-player split screen co-op mode.  Definitely one to download if you've got younger kids.  Hooray!

Cultists - they're always up to no good...

The other game I'm excited about, despite it being a few years old, is Amplitude (PEGI-3).  I have now totally confused myself, since I wondered why it was only the PS3 version, searched for the PS4 version and it was showing as free, so I clicked to get it, and it seems to have cost me nothing, but now it's showing as £15.99.  I have no idea what has happened.  Hmm.  Anyway, it's a Harmonix rhythm game and I haven't played it before, so I'm excited.  I spent many happy hours of my life playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and Seb's keen on games where music plays a big part, so we'll certainly be playing this.  At its most basic level, it's a game where you fly a ship along a lane and shoot cells, but like its relatives, it's a reaction game where you play it without knowing what your brain is really doing.  It's pure reaction, getting lost in the music.  I love Harmonix...  You can play against friends or there's a team vs. mode - it supports 1-4 players.  Woot!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Life in Games 1: Little Computer People (1987)

Seb was trying to get me to work out my Top 20 video games of all time, and I narrowed it down to 20... but it was too hard to put them into...